Facts & Figures
Our new research hospital will allow RIC to serve our patients in ways that are not possible in our current space, and that are unprecedented in medicine.
The AbilityLab® is intended to exude ability and attract the world's best and brightest talent to achieve its vision.
The AbilityLab at a Glance
The building will be 480 feet tall, with 1.2 million square feet of floor space, including 900,000 square feet dedicated to clinical/research programs – nearly three times our current research space.
Inpatient Bed Capacity
The AbilityLab will open with 242 beds – a 33% increase over our current capacity of 182.
World's Only Ability Labs – Five Differentiated Labs
- Think & Speak: "Speech & Cognition"
- Arm & Hand: "Fine Motor"
- Legs & Walking: "Gait & Locomotion"
- Strength & Endurance: "Total Body"
- Pediatrics: All abilities for kids
New Care Support Capabilities
- Imaging and Interventional Suite: MRI and CT scanning capabilities, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, DEXA, and bone density diagnostics.
- Rehabilitation Intensive Care Unit (RICU)
- Infusion Suite
Wonderful Public Spaces
- Sky Lobby – 2-story reception on the 10th floor
- Sky Garden – Expansive, outdoor green area confluent with the Sky Lobby
- LIFE Center – Patient and family resource center
- Spiritual Center
- Conference Center
The AbilityLab will have an extensive outpatient care facility – four times the current service size.