Facts & Figures
Our new research hospital will allow RIC to serve our patients in ways that are not possible in our current space, and that are unprecedented in medicine.
RIC's new research hospital is intended to exude Ability and attract the world's best and brightest talent to achieve its vision.
The New "Ability Institute of RIC" at a Glance
The building will be 480 feet tall, with 1.2 million square feet of floor space, including 900,000 square feet dedicated to clinical/research programs – nearly three times our current research space.
Inpatient Bed Capacity
The Ability Institute of RIC will open with 242 beds – a 33% increase over our current capacity of 182.
World's Only AbilityLabs™ – Five Differentiated Labs
- Speech & Cognition: "Think, Speak"
- Fine Motor: "Arms, Hands"
- Gait & Locomotion: "Legs, Walking"
- Coordination & Endurance: "Total Body"
- Pediatrics: All abilities for kids
New Care Support Capabilities
- Imaging and Interventional Suite: MRI and CT scanning capabilities, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, DEXA, and bone density diagnostics.
- Rehabilitation Intensive Care Unit (RICU)
- Infusion Suite
Wonderful Public Spaces
- Sky Lobby – 2-story reception on the 10th floor
- Sky Garden – Expansive, outdoor green area confluent with the Sky Lobby
- LIFE Center – Patient and family resource center
- Spiritual Center
- Conference Center
The Ability Institute of RIC will have an extensive outpatient care facility – four times the current service size.