Questions Asked by Injured Workers - Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Skip to Content

Global Patient Services is here to help with travel to Chicago, housing, admitting, and financing.


RIC Global Patient Services
345 East Superior Street 
South Mezzanine
Chicago, IL 60611

Questions Asked by Injured Workers

The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) Global Patient Services (GPS) team works daily with Workers' Compensation Case Managers to successfully and efficiently provide world-class care to workers' compensation patients.

Here are common questions asked:

I was injured at work. How can I receive medical care at RIC?

If you have an open worker’s compensation claim we will work with your claims adjuster or case manager to arrange for treatment at RIC.

If you have a pending workers' compensation claim or one that is still under investigation, you may be able to start receiving treatment at RIC using your group health insurance. Contact an RIC Worker’s Compensation Care Manager for assistance with coordination.

Who can I talk to about whether RIC is right for me or my claimant?

You can call to speak directly to one of our specialized Worker’s Compensation Care Managers at 312-238-1127. They will help determine if RIC can provide the rehabilitation services you are seeking. If you decide that you would like to set up treatment at RIC, this Care Manager will remain your single point of contact and help coordinate your care and navigate the system.

Traveling to Chicago seems complicated. How can RIC help?

Your Worker’s Compensation Care Manager at RIC will assist with travel logistics and coordinate your clinical care. Prior to arrival, your RIC Care Manager will provide you with orientation information, schedule your appointments and facilitate communication with your treatment team.

The Care Manager will work closely with you and your Worker’s Compensation Case Manager/Claims Adjuster to set up the most convenient travel and housing options. This Care Manager will remain available to you throughout your stay as a “single point of contact” for support and ongoing assistance as needed.

What medical information is needed for a referral?

The following information is most helpful for our physicians and nurses when reviewing your rehabilitation needs:

  1. Patient address, contact information, and date of birth
  2. Recent physician progress notes including height and weight
  3. Current therapy notes including functional status/level of assistance needed with eating, grooming, bathing, dressing, toileting, bowel and bladder management, transfers, ambulation, verbal comprehension and expression.
  4. List of current medication
  5. Most recent labs for 2-7 days depending on issues, CBC, BNP, PT & INR, if appropriate
  6. Allergies and infection/isolation requirements

Is temporary housing available for patients/families?

Housing for family members in Chicago is provided without cost to you or to your worker’s compensation carrier for the first 30 days of an inpatient admission.

Worker’s Compensation outpatients and family members needing to stay beyond the initial 30 days are given priority for rooms at RIC Place, an on-campus Hospital Hospitality House located within the nearby Ronald McDonald House. It provides well-appointed private bedrooms/baths on a unit for eight families, with a communal kitchen and family room on the floor. Find out more about RIC Place here.

RIC also has a variety of temporary housing options available within a short walk or cab ride to the hospital. There are a large number of hotels in the neighborhood from luxury accommodations at the Peninsula, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton to more affordable options at the Red Roof Inn, Hyatt, or Marriott. There are also several extended-stay hotels that offer kitchenette suites and are set up for longer stays. Furnished 1, 2, & 3 bedroom apartments can be rented through Chicago’s network of Corporate Housing companies.

How can I book a room at the Ronald McDonald House or RIC Place?

Your RIC Worker’s Compensation Care Manager can reserve a room for you at either the Ronald McDonald House (for patients under age 21) or for RIC Place (the floor within the Ronald McDonald House built for adult patients at RIC). Find out more about RIC Place here.

Will I need an air ambulance or can I travel commercially?

Your referring physician/treatment team will assess the safest way for you to travel to Chicago. Once they have determined what is medically appropriate, your RIC Care Manager with work with your referring treatment team to coordinate the flight, any accompanying medical personnel, air ambulance, and ground transit.

Which Chicago airport should we fly into?

RIC is conveniently located to both O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Midway International Airport (MDW) airports. If flying in a private plane, Chicago Executive Airport provides another option.