Questions Asked by Patients from Outside Illinois - Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago

Skip to Content

Global Patient Services is here to help with travel to Chicago, housing, admitting, and financing.


RIC Global Patient Services
345 East Superior Street 
South Mezzanine
Chicago, IL 60611

Questions Asked by Patients from Outside Illinois

Can RIC help with travel to Chicago?

Your Global Patient Services Care Manager at RIC will assist with travel logistics and coordinate your clinical care. Prior to arrival, your RIC Care Manager will provide you with orientation information, schedule your appointments and facilitate communication with your treatment team. The Care Manager will work closely with you to set up the most convenient travel & housing options. This Care Manager will remain available to you throughout your stay as a single point of contact for support and ongoing assistance as needed.

What medical information will I need for a referral?

The following information is most helpful for our physicians and nurses when reviewing your rehabilitation needs:

  • Patient address, contact information & date of birth
  • Recent physician progress notes including height and weight
  • Current therapy notes including functional status/level of assistance needed with eating, grooming, bathing, dressing, toileting, bowel and bladder management, transfers, ambulation, verbal comprehension and expression.
  • List of current medication
  • Most recent labs for 2-7 days depending on issues, CBC, BNP, PT & INR if appropriate
  • Allergies and infection/isolation requirement

Is temporary housing available for patients/families?

RIC has a variety of temporary housing options available all within a short walk or cab ride to the hospital. There are a large number of hotels in the neighborhood from luxury accommodations at the Peninsula, Four Seasons & Ritz Carlton to more affordable options at the Red Roof Inn, Hyatt or Marriott.

There are also several extended-stay hotels that offer kitchenette suites and are set up for longer stays. Furnished one-, two-. and three-bedroom apartments can be rented through Chicago’s network of Corporate Housing companies.

There is a Ronald McDonald House on campus a few blocks from RIC that can also provide low-cost housing for families of pediatric patients who are interested in a supportive, communal living environment with private bedroom/bathrooms. RIC Place, is located on the 7th floor of the Ronald McDonald House and houses and additional 8 bedrooms for family with adult patients receiving care at RIC. RIC Place provides well-appointed private bedrooms/baths on a unit with a communal kitchen and family room. Find out more about RIC Place here.

How can I book a room at the Ronald McDonald House or RIC Place?

Your Global Patient Services Care Manager can reserve a room for you at either the Ronald McDonald House (for patients under age 21) or for RIC Place (the floor within the Ronald McDonald House built for adult patients at RIC). Find out more about RIC Place here.

Will I need an air ambulance or can I travel commercially?

Your referring physician/treatment team will assess the safest way for you to travel to Chicago. Once they have determined what is medically appropriate, your RIC Care Manager with work with your referring treatment team to coordinate the flight, any accompanying medical personnel, air ambulance and ground transit.

Which Chicago airport should we fly into?

RIC is conveniently located to both O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and Midway International Airport (MDW) airports. If flying in a private plane, Chicago Executive Airport provides another option.