McCormick, Z. L., Lynch, M., Liem, B., Jacobs, G., Hwang, P., Hornby, T. G., Rydberg, L. & Roth, E. (2015). Feasibility for developing cardiovascular exercise recommendations for persons with motor-complete paraplegia based on manual wheelchair propulsion; a protocol and preliminary data. J of SCI. PMID:25582138
Kim, H.E., Corcos, D. M., & Hornby, T. G. (2015). Increased spinal reflex excitability is associated with enhanced central activation during voluntary lengthening contractions in human spinal cord injury. J of Neurophysiol, jn-01074. PMID:25972590
Lynch, M. McCormick, Z. Liem, B. Jacobs, G. Hwang, P. Hornby, T. Rydberg, L. Roth, E. (2015). Energy cost of lower body dressing, pop-over transfers, and manual wheelchair propulsion in people with paraplegia due to motor-complete spinal cord injury. Topics in SCI Rehab, 21, 140-148.
Tulsky, D. Kisala, P. Kalpakjian, C. Bombardier, C. Pohlig, R. Heinemann, A. Carle, A. Choi, S. (2015). Measuring depression after spinal cord injury: Development and psychometric characteristics of the SCI-QOL Depression item bank and linkage with PHQ-9. J of SCI, 38, 335-346.
Tate, D. Forchheimer, M. Bombardier, C. Heinemann, A. Neumann, H. Fann, J. (2015). Differences in quality of life outcomes among depressed spinal cord injury trial participants. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 96, 340-348.
Richards, J. Bombardier, C. Wilson, C. Chiodo, A. Brooks, L. Tate, D. Temkin, N. Barber, J. Heinemann, A. (2015). Efficacy of venlafaxine XR for the treatment of pain in patients with spinal cord injury and major depression: a randomized, controlled trial. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 96, 680-689.
McCullumsmith, C. Kalpakjian, C. Richards, J. Forchheimer, M. Heinemann, A. Richardson, E. Wilson, C. Barber, J. Temkin, N. Bombardier, C. Fann, J. (2015). Novel risk factors associated with current suicidal ideation and lifetime suicide attempts in individuals with spinal cord injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 96, 799-808.
Tulsky, D. Kisala, P. Victorson,D. Tate, D. Heinemann, A. Charlifue, S. Kirshblum, S. Fyffe, D. Gershon, R. Spungen, A. Bombardier, C. Dyson-Hudson, T. Amtmann, D. Kalpakjian, C. Choi, S. Jette, A. Forcheimer, M. Cella, D. (2015). Overview of the Spinal Cord Injury - Quality of Life (SCI-QOL) measurement system. J of SCI Med, 38, 257-269.
Tulsky, D. Kisala, P. Victorson, D. Choi, S. Gershon, R. Heinemann, A. Cella, D. (2015). Methodology for the development and calibration of the SCI-QOL item banks. J of SCI Med, 38, 270-287.
Jette, A. Slavin, M. Ni, P. Kisala, P. Tulsky, D. Heinemann, A.Charlifue, S. Tate, D. Fyffe, D. Morse, L. Marino, R. Smith, I. Williams, S. (2015). Development and initial evaluation of the SCI-FI/AT. J of SCI Med, 38, 409-418.
Heinemann, A. Kisala, P. Hahn, A. Tulsky, D. (2015). Development and psychometric characteristics of the SCI-QOL Ability to Participate and Satisfaction with Social Roles and Activities item banks and short forms. J of SCI Med 38, 397-408.
Fann, J. Bombardier, C. Richards, J. Wilson, C. Heinemann, A. Warren, A. Brooks, L. McCullumsmith, C. Temkin, N. Warms, C. Tate, D. (2015). Venlafaxine extended-release for depression following spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 72, 247-258.
Pretz, C. Kozlowski, A. Charlifue, S. Chen, Y. Heinemann, A. (2014). Using Rasch motor FIM individual growth curves to inform clinical decisions for persons with paraplegia. Spinal Cord, 52, 671-676.
Elliott, J. Dewald, J. Hornby, T. walton, d. Parrish, T. (2014). Mechanisms Underlying Chronic Whiplash: Contributions from an Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury?. Pain Medicine, 15, 1938-1944.
Williams, R. wilson, C. Heinemann, A. Lazowski, L. Fann, J. Bombardier, C. (2014). Identifying depression severity risk factors in persons with traumatic spinal cord injury. Rehab Psych, 59, 50-56.
Wong, A. Heinemann, A. Wilson, C. Neumann, H. Fann, J. Tate, D. Forchheimer, M. Richards, J. Bombardier, C. (2014). Predictors of Participation Enfranchisement After Spinal Cord Injury: The Mediating Role of Depression and Moderating Role of Demographic and Injury Characteristics. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 95, 1106-1113.
Heinemann, A. Dijkers, M. Tulsky, D. Jette, A. (2014). Measurement Properties of the Spinal Cord Injury-Functional Index (SCI-FI) Short Forms. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 95, 1289-1297.
Bombardier, C. Fann, J. Wilson, C. Heinemann, A. Richards, J. Warren, A. Brooks, L. Warms, C. Temkin, N. Tate, D. (2014). A randomized controlled trial of venalafaxine XR for major depressive disorder after spinal cord injury: Methods and lessons learned. J of Spinal Cord Med, 37, 247-263.
Graham, J. Granger, C. Karmarkar, A. Deutsch, A. Niewczyk, P. Divita, M. Ottenbacher, K. (2014). The Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation: report of follow-up information on patients discharged from inpatient rehabilitation programs in 2002-2010. Am J of Phys Med & Rehab, 93, 231-244.
Chu, V. W. T., Hornby, T. G., & Schmit, B. D. (2014). Effect of antispastic drugs on motor reflexes and voluntary muscle contraction in incomplete spinal cord injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 95(4), 622-632.
Leech, K. A., Kinnaird, C. R., & Hornby, T. G. (2014). Effects of serotonergic medications on locomotor performance in humans with incomplete spinal cord injury. J of Neurotrauma, 31(15), 1334-1342.
Hornby TG, Holleran CL. (2014) Sleep Matters. JNPT. 38, 170-171. PMID: 24806438
Kim HE, Thompson CK, Hornby TG. Muscle activation varies with contraction mode in human spinal cord injury. (2015) Muscle Nerve, 51, 235-245. doi: 10.1002/mus.24285. PMID: 24825184
Pretz, C., Kozlowski, A., Charlifue, S. B., Chen, Y., & Heineman, A. (2014). Using Rasch Motor FIM individual growth curves to inform clinical decisions for persons with paraplegia. Spinal Cord, 52, 671-676.
Bellon K, Kolakowsky-Hayner S, Chen D, et al (2013). Evidence-based practice in primary prevention of spinal cord injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 19, 25-30.
McCormick Z, Lynch M, Chen D. (2013). Fever after traumatic spinal cord injury: a case of brucella sepsis. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 5, 982-984.
Jayaraman A, Thompson CK, Rymer WZ, Hornby TG. (2013). Short-term maximal-intensity resistance training increases volitional function and strength in chronic incomplete spinal cord injury: a pilot study. JNPT, 37, 112-117.
Moore, J. L., Raad, J., Ehrlich-Jones, L., & Heinemann, A. W. (2014). Development and use of a knowledge translation tool: the rehabilitation measures database. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 95, 197-202.
Bode, R. K., Heinemann, A. W., Kozlowski, A. J., & Pretz, C. R. (2014). Self-Scoring Templates for Motor and Cognitive Subscales of the FIM Instrument for Persons With Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 95, 676-679.
Hornby, T. George; Kinnaird, Catherine R; Holleran, Carey L; Rafferty, Miriam R; Rodriguez, Kelly S; and Cain, Julie B (2012). Kinematic, Muscular, and Metabolic Responses During Exoskeletal-, Elliptical-, or Therapist-Assisted Stepping in People With Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Physical Therapy, 92, 1278-1291.
Hammond, Flora M; Horn, Susan D; Smout, Randall J; Chen, David; DeJong, Gerben; Scelza, William; Jha, Amitabh; Ballard, Pamela H; Bloomgarden, Jessica (2013). Acute Rehospitalizations During Inpatient Rehabilitation for Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 94, S98-S105.
DeJong G, Tian W, Hsieh C-H, Junn C, Karam C, Ballard PH, Smout RJ, Horn SD, Zanca JM, Heinemann AW, Hammond FM, Backus D (2013). Rehospitalization in the First Year of Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury After Discharge From Medical Rehabilitation. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 94, S87-97.
Backus D, Gassaway J, Smout RJ, Hsieh C-H, Heinemann AW, DeJong G, Horn SD (2013). The relationship between inpatient and post-discharge services and outcomes one-year post-injury in people with traumatic spinal cord injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 94, S165-74.
Zanca JM, Dijkers M, Whiteneck G, Heinemann AW (2013). Group Therapy Utilization in Inpatient Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 94, S145-53.
Kozlowski A, Heinemann AW (2013). Using individual growth curve models to predict recovery in activities of daily living after spinal cord injury: A SCIRehab project study. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 94, S154-64.
Jette A, Tulsky DS, Ni P, Kisala PA, Slavin M, Dijkers MP, Heinemann AW, Tate DG, Whiteneck G, Charlifue S, Houlihan B, Williams W, Kirshblum S, Dyson-Hudson T, Zanca J, Fyffe D (2012). Development and initial evaluation of the spinal cord injury-functional index. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 93, 1733-50.
Tulsky DS, Jette AM, Kisala PA, Kalpakjian C, Dijkers MP, Whiteneck G, Ni P, Kirshblum S, Charlifue S, Heinemann AW, Forchheimer M, Slavin MD, Houlihan B, Tate DG, Dyson-Hudson T, Fyffe D, Williams S, Zanca J (2012). Spinal Cord Injury-Functional Index: Item Banks to Measure Physical Functioning of Individuals With Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 93, 1722-1732.
Heinemann AW, Wilson CS, Huston T, Koval J, Gordon S, Schwebel A, Gassaway J, Kreider SED, Whiteneck G (2012). Relationship of psychology inpatient rehabilitation services and patient characteristics to outcomes following spinal cord injury: the SCIRehab project. J of Spinal Cord Med, 35, 578-92.
King RB, Champion VL, Chen DC, Gittler M, Heinemann AW, Bode RK, Semik P (2012). Development of a Measure of Skin Care Belief Scales for Persons with Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 93, 1814-21.
Heinemann AW, Steeves JD, Boninger M, Groah S, Sherwood AM (2012). State of the science in spinal cord injury rehabilitation 2011: informing a new research agenda. Spinal Cord, 50, 390-7.
Heinemann AW, Boninger ML, Brienza D, Charlifue S, Chen Y-Y, Curley KC, Graves DE, Groah S, Hudson LM, Jackson AB, Johnson KL, Kalpakjian CZ, Kusiak A, Larson KE, Agustin TS, Sherwood AM, Shinowara N, Stripling T, Tate D (2012). State of the Science Conference in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation 2011: Introduction. Spinal Cord, 50, 342-3.
Bombardier CH, Fann JR, Tate DG, Richards JS, Wilson CS, Warren AM, Temkin NR, Heinemann AW, for the PRISMS Investigators (2012). An exploration of modifiable risk factors for depression after spinal cord injury: which factors should we target?. Arch Phy Med and Rehab, 93, 775-81.
ASIA 2013 ANNUAL MEETING IN CHICAGO
- Presentation: Allen Heinemann. "Improving the Measurement Properties of Depressive Symptom
Instruments for Use after SCI"
- Poster: Sally Taylor, RIC Physical Therapist. "Manual Wheelchair Skills and Associations with Societal Participation: Findings from the SCIRehab Project"
- Presentation: Allan Kozlowski. "Using Individual Growth Curve Models to Predict Recovery in Activities of Daily Living and Mobility after SCI: A SCIRehab Project Study"
AMERICAN CONGRESS OF REHABILITATION MEDICINE (ACRM) ANNUAL MEETING 2012 in Vancouver
- Symposium: "Innovative SCIRehab study reveals relationships of patient characteristics and treatment interventions with outcomes after SCI." by Gale Whiteneck, PhD, Julie Gassaway, MS, RN, Rebecca Ozelie, MHS, OTRL, Allen Heinemann, PhD
- Hornby TG “Physical Interventions to Maximize Motor Recovery following Spinal Cord Injury”. 4th Annual Spinal Cord Injury Research Seminar: Kennedy Kreiger Institute, Baltimore, MD June, 2013
- Chen, D 2013 RIC Annual SCI Course: “Aging with Spinal Cord Injury: What Can We Expect?”
- Hornby TG 2013 SCI Association of Illinois Symposium for Patients and Families – “Spinal Cord Injury Research: The Present and the Future”
- Tate DM, Charlifue S, Post M, Tulsky DS, Jette A, Heinemann AW. The Use Of Quality Of Life Measures In Spinal Cord Injury Clinical Trials. Symposium presented at the International Spinal Cord Society annual meeting, Montreal, PQ, May 14, 2015.
- Tulsky D, Jette A, Kisala P, Tate D, Heinemann AW, Charlifue S. Using The Spinal Cord Injury Quality Of Life (SCI-QOL) Item Banks To Detect Change In Research And Clinical Practice. Symposium presented at the International Spinal Cord Society annual meeting, Montreal, PQ, May 14, 2015.
- Heinemann AW. Self-report measures to monitor rehabilitation. Plenary speaker at the 13th Congress of European Forum for Research in Rehabilitation, May 8, 2015, Helsinki, Finland.
- Heinemann AW. Patient-Reported and Clinician-Rated Functional Status Measures: Applications in Rehabilitation Research. Paper presented at the 13th Congress of European Forum for Research in Rehabilitation, May 7, 2015, Helsinki, Finland.
- Kim HE, Corcos DM, Hornby TG. Reflex Contributions to Enhances Muscle Activity During Eccentric Contractions in Individuals with Motor incomplete SCI. American Physical Therapy Association 2015 combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, February 2015.
- Leech K, Hornby TG. Alterations in Serum BDNF concentrations with Graded Intensity Exercise in Individuals with Incomplete SCI. American Physical Therapy Association 2015 combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, February 2015.
- Leech KA, Holleran C, Kinnaird CR, Kahn JH, Hornby, TG. Immediate and sustained effects of high-intensity locomotor practice on gait performance in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury. Society for Neuroscience. Abstract November 2014. Washington, DC.
- Smith AC, Parrish TB, Wasielewsk M, Kim HE, Hornby TG, Elliott JM. Spinal cord motor tract integrity, muscle architectural alterations, and volitional motor control following motor incomplete spinal cord injury. Society for Neuroscience. Abstract November 2014. Washington, DC.
- Kim HE, Corcos DM, Hornby TG. Decreased spinal inhibition during muscle lengthening in humans with incomplete spinal cord injury may contribute to increased central activation during eccentric contraction. Society for Neuroscience. Abstract November 2014. Washington, DC.
- Heinemann AW. Outcome measures in rehabilitation, The Rehabilitation Conference of the Southeastern Norway Regional Health Authority, Lillestrøm, Norway, October 22, 2014.
- Heinemann AW. Outcome measurement in USA: FIM, CARE tool and PROMIS, Keynote speaker, Regional Center of Knowledge Translation in Rehabilitation, Sunnaas Rehabilitation Hospital, Oslo, Norway, October 21, 2014.
- Tulsky DS, Heinemann AW. Development of a new measurement system to assess HRQOL in individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research, October 16, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- Neumann H, Deutsch A, Backus D, Shaewitz A. Navigating US Post-Acute Care Policy: Where Do I Begin? American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine. Toronto, Ontario, October 10, 2014.
- Heinemann AW, Neumann HD, Etingen B, Miskovic A, Locatelli SM, Chen D, LaVela SL. Patient-centered care: Perceptions of individuals with spinal cord injuries. American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference. Toronto, ON, Canada. Poster Presentation. October 10, 2014.
- Heinemann AW, LaVela SL, Etingen B, Neumann HD, Miskovic A, Locatelli SM, Chen D. Perceptions of patient-centered care in individuals with spinal cord injuries/disorders. The International Spinal Cord Society Meeting. MECC, Maastricht, The Netherlands. Poster Presentation. September 4, 2014.
- LaVela SL, Heinemann AW, Etingen B, Neumann HD, Miskovic A, Locatelli SM, Chen D. Perceptions of patient-centered care in individuals with spinal cord injuries/disorders. Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals. St. Louis, MO. Poster Presentation. September 1, 2014.
- LaVela SL, Heinemann AW, Etingen B, Neumann HD, Miskovic A, Locatelli SM, Chen D. Perceptions of patient-centered care in individuals with spinal cord injuries/disorders. Paralyzed Veterans of America Summit 2014. Las Vegas, NV. Oral Presentation. August 27, 2014.
- Hornby TG. Molecular, Physiological and Biomechanical Bases for High-Intensity Physical Training in Incomplete SCI. Illinois Spinal Cord Injury Association. Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. Wheaton, IL May 30, 2015.
- Hornby TG. Focus on Intensity of Motor Training Across Disciplines and Diagnoses. Annual Stroke Course. Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Chicago, IL, April 20, 2015.
- Hornby TG, Hennessy P, Moore J, Holleran C. Walking the Walk: Translating Research Evidence into Clinical Practice. Combined Sections Meeting, APTA, Indianapolis, IN, Feb 6, 2015.
- Heinemann AW. Considerations in Evaluating the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Robot-Assisted Rehabilitation Therapy. Presented as part of the workshop “Maximizing clinical efficiency by harnessing technological advances,” International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Cancun, Mexico, June 3, 2014.
- Hornby TG. Pharmacological and Physical Interventions to Improve Walking Function following Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Gail Beech Invitation Lecture. Miami Project, Coral Gables, FL, May 6, 2015.
- Hornby TG. Walking the Walk: Feasibility and Preliminary Efficacy of High Intensity Variable Training to Improve Locomotor Function in Patients with Stroke or Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury. Keynote Speaker. Texas Women’s University, Denton, TX, Dec 3, 2014.
- Heinemann AW. Evidence, Theory, and Experience: Implementing Evidence in to Rehabilitation Practice (with Jennifer Moore and Jason Raad), RIC Grand Rounds, September 10, 2014.
- Heinemann AW. Measuring, Modeling, and Managing Rehabilitation Outcomes. Mediware Annual Conference, Phoenix, AZ, June 9, 2014.
- Barnett SD, Heinemann AW, Libin A, Houts AC, Gassaway J, Sen-Gupta S, Resch A, Brossart DF. Small N designs for rehabilitation research. J of Rehab R & D, 49(1), 2012.
- Dijkers MP, Bushnik T, Heinemann AW, Heller T, Libin AV, Starks J, Sherer M, Vandergoot D. Systematic reviews for informing rehabilitation practice: an introduction. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2012;93:912-8.
- Whiteneck G, Gassaway J, Dijkers M, Lammertse D, Hammond F, Heinemann AW, Backus D, Charlifue S, Ballard P; Zanca J. Inpatient and post-discharge rehabilitation services provided in the first year after spinal cord injury: Findings from the SCIRehab study. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2011;92:361-8.
- Kalpakjian CZ, Houlihan B, Meade MA, Karana-Zebari D, Heinemann AW, Dijkers M, Wierbicky J, Charlifue S. Marital Status, Marital Transitions, Well-Being and Spinal Cord Injury: An Examination of the Effects of Gender and Time. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2011; 92(3) 433-440.
- Whiteneck G, Gassaway J, Dijkers M, Lammertse D, Hammond F, Heinemann AW, Backus D, Charlifue S, Ballard P, Zanca, J. Inpatient and Post-Discharge Rehabilitation Services Provided in the First Year after Spinal Cord Injury: Findings from the SCIRehab Study. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2011;92(3):361-368.
- Stenson KW, Deutsch A, Heinemann AW, Chen D. Obesity and Inpatient Rehabilitation Outcomes for Patients with a Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2011;92(3):384-390.
- Fann JR, Bombardier CH, Tate D, Richards JS, Wilson C, Warren AM, Heinemann AW, Graves D. Modifiable risk factors and treatment preferences for depression after spinal cord injury: opportunities for treatment. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine, November 16-19, 2011, Phoenix, AZ.
- Hudson M, Miskovic A, Heinemann AW, Wilson, C. Violence related spinal cord injury: Variations in demographic, functional impairment and psychotherapy/counseling use. Paper presented at the ACRM-ASNR Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October 11–15, 2011.