Megan K. O'Brien, PhD
Room #: RIC 1682 (office), 1309 (mail)
Center for Bionic Medicine
Max Näder Lab for Rehabilitation Technologies and Outcomes Research
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University
Dr. O’Brien’s research examines on the use of wearable technology to monitor or improve movement capabilities. She is currently investigating smartphones and machine learning techniques to assess the everyday movement behaviors and social interactions of stroke patients at home and in the community. The goal of her research is to better understand how patients recover independent mobility outside of the hospital environment.
Her previous work in motor control and neuroeconomics examined the influence of risk and emotional state on movement-based decisions.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 2009
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, 2012
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, 2014
Professional Associations and Activities
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- Society for Neuroscience, Member
- Society of Women Engineers, Member