CROR Current Publications & Presentations
Community Participation Indicators (CPI)
Orthotics Prosthetics User Survey (OPUS)
- Chang RW, Semanik PA, Lee J, Feinglass J, Ehrlich-Jones L, Dunlop DD. Improving physical activity in arthritis clinical trial (IMPAACT): Study design, rationale, recruitment, and baseline data. Contemporary clinical trials. 2014;39(2):224-35. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2014.08.010. PubMed PMID: 25183043.
- Fyffe D, Deutsch A, Botticello A, Kirshblum S, Ottenbacher K. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Functioning at Discharge and Follow-up among Patients with Motor Complete Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.07.398. PubMed PMID: 25093999.
- Jensen SE, Butt Z, Heinemann AW, Magasi S, Cella D, Kuiken TA, Dumanian GA. Perceptions of the Risks and Benefits of Upper Limb Transplantation among Individuals with Upper Limb Amputations. Plastic and Recon Surg. 2014;134(5):979-87. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000000584. PubMed PMID: 25054242.
- Pretz CR, Kozlowski AJ, Charlifue S, Chen Y, Heinemann AW. Using Rasch motor FIM individual growth curves to inform clinical decisions for persons with paraplegia. Spinal Cord. 2014;52(9):671-6. doi: 10.1038/sc.2014.94. PubMed PMID: 24937699.
- Semanik P, Lee J, Song J, Chang R, Sohn M-W, Ehrlich-Jones L, Nevitt M, Kwoh K, Ainsworth B, Dunlop D. Accelerometer monitored sedentary behavior and observed physical function loss. Am J of Public Health. 2014;In Press.
- Tulsky D, Kisala P, Victorson D, Carlozzi N, Bushnik T, Sherer M, Choi S, Heinemann AW, Chiaravalloti N, Sander A, Englander J, Hanks R, Kolakowsky-Hayner S, Roth E, Gershon R, Rosenthal M, Cella D. TBI-QOL: Development and Calibration of item banks to measure patient reported outcomes following traumatic brain injury. J Head Trauma Rehab. in press.
- Bombardier CH, Fann JR, Wilson CS, Heinemann AW, Richards JS, Warren AM, Tate DG, et al. A randomized controlled trial of venlafaxine XR for major depressive disorder after spinal cord injury: Methods and lessons learned. J Spinal Cord Med, 2014; 37(3): 247-263. doi: 10.1179/2045772313Y.0000000138
- Bode RK, Heinemann AW, Kozlowski AJ, Pretz CR. Self-Scoring Templates for Motor and Cognitive Subscales of the FIM Instrument for Persons With Spinal Cord Injury, Arch Phys Med Rehab,2014; 95(4):676-679 e675.
- Heinemann AW, Connelly L, Ehrlich-Jones L, Fatone S. Outcome Instruments for Prosthetics Clinical Applications. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am, 25 (2014) 179–198.
- Heinemann AW, Dijkers MP, Ni P, Tulsky DS, Jette A. Measurement Properties of the Spinal Cord Injury-Functional Index (SCI-FI) Short Forms Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 95(7), 1289-1297, doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.01.031.
- Heinemann AW, Magasi S, Hammel J, Carlozzi NE, Garcia SF, Hahn EA, Lai J-S, Tulsky DS, Gray DB, Hollingsworth H, Jerousek S. Environmental Factors Item Development for Persons with Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury. Arch Phys Med Rehab, 94(12), doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2013.11.024.
- Kalpakjian CZ, McCullumsmith CB, Fann JR, Richards JS, Stoelb BL, Heinemann AW, Bombardier CH. (2014). Post-traumatic growth following spinal cord injury. J Spinal Cord Med, 37(2), 218-225. doi: 10.1179/2045772313Y.0000000169
- Lackland DT, Roccella EJ, Deutsch, A, Fornage M, George MG, Howard G, Kissela B, Kittner SJ, Lichtman J, Lisabeth L, Schwamm LH, Smith EE, Towfighi A, on behalf of the American Heart Association Stroke Council, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes and Research, and Council on Functional Genomics and Translational Biology. Factors Influencing the Decline in Stroke Mortality: A Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, 2014; 45:315-353.
- Mallinson T, Deutsch A, Bateman J, Tseng H, Manheim L, Almagor O, Heinemann AW. Comparison of Discharge Functional Status After Rehabilitation in Skilled Nursing, Home Health, and Medical Rehabilitation Settings for Patients After Hip Fracture Repair, Arch Phys Med Rehab, Vol 95, Issue 2, February 2014, Pages 209-217.
- Moore J, Raad J, Ehrlich-Jones L, Heinemann AW. Development and Use of a Knowledge Translation Tool: The Rehabilitation Measures Database, Arch Phys Med Rehab, 2014;95(1):197-202.
- Ottenbacher KJ, Karmarkar AM, Graham JE, Kuo Y-F, Deutsch A, Reistetter TA, Snih SA, Granger CV. Thirty-day hospital readmission following Discahrge from Postacute Rehabilitation in Fee-for-service Medicare Patients. JAMA, 311(6), 604-14,doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.8.
- Sun, K, Song J, Lee J, Chang RW, Eaton CB, Ehrlich-Jones L, Kwoh KC, Manheim LM, Semanik PA, Sharma L, Sohn M-W, & Dunlop D. Relationship of meeting physical activity guidelines with health-related utility. Arthritis Care & Research, 2013 Dec 10 (epub ahead of print).
- Tulsky, DS, Kisala, PA, Lai, JS, Carlozzi, N, Hammel, J, & Heinemann, AW (2014). Developing an Item Bank to Measure Economic Quality of Life for Individuals with Disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehab. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.02.030
- Wong AW, Heinemann AW, Wilson CS, Neumann H, Fann JR, Tate DG, Bombardier CH, et al . Predictors of Participation Enfranchisement After Spinal Cord Injury: The Mediating Role of Depression and Moderating Role of Demographic and Injury Characteristics. Arch Phys Med Rehab. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.01.027
- Wong W, Heinemann AW, Miskovic A, Semik P, Snyder TM. Feasibility of Computerized Adaptive Testing for Collection of Patient-Reported Outcomes following Inpatient Rehabilitation, Arch Phys Med Rehab, Available online 16 January 2014.
- Chan L, Heinemann A, Hoenig H. How To Get Published: Authorship, Guidelines & Reviewing in Medical Rehabilitation. Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Clohan D, Deutsch A, C. Z. The Present and Future of Quality Measures and How They Impact Your Practice in the Rehabilitation Hospital Setting. San Diego, CA: American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly; 2014.
- Deutsch A, Resnik L, Neumann H, KJ. O. Best Practices for Reporting Rehabilitation Research Toronto, Ontario: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; 2014.
- French J, Cowan RE, Simcox S, Castel C, Schmidt-Read M, Deutsch A, Backus D, J. M. The Role of Research in Reimbursement. Toronto, Ontario: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; 2014.
- Gifford D, Feldman R, Gage B, Deutsch, A. Skilled Nursing Facility Prospective Payment System Part A Rehabilitation Therapy: Addressing the Controversy & Redesigning Therapy Payment. National Harbor, MD2014.
- Gray D, Simon R, Perez B, Heinemann A, Magasi S, Tulsky DS, Hammel J, Hahn E, Garcia S, Lai J-S, Jerousek S, Wong A. How Well Do Environmental Factor Measures Cover the International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health Domains? Berlin, Germany: Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research; 2014.
- Heinemann A. Outcome measurement in USA: FIM, CARE tool and PROMIS, Keynote speaker, Regional Center of Knowledge Translation in Rehabilitation. Sunnaas Rehabilitation Hospital, Oslo, Norway2014.
- Heinemann A. Outcome measures in rehabilitation. The Rehabilitation Conference of the Southeastern Norway Regional Health Authority, Lillestrøm, Norway2014.
- Heinemann A. New Approaches to Measuring Quality of Life following Traumatic Brain Injury. RIC Academy, Chicago, IL2014.
- Heinemann A. Measuring, Modeling, and Managing Rehabilitation Outcomes. Phoenix, AZ: Mediware Annual Conference; 2014.
- Heinemann A. Insider Perspective on Strategies to Improve Research Capacity-Building in Disability and Rehabilitation. Arlington, VA: National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research-sponsored Advanced Rehabilitation Research Training and Switzer Fellowship Summit; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Magasi S, Hammel J. Environmental Factors Item Development for Persons with Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury. Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Magasi S, Raad J. Mediating Entities in the Knowledge Translation Cycle as Catalysts for Organizational Change Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Miskovic A, Wong A, Gray D, Hollingsworth H, Lai J-S, Magasi S, Hammel J, Tulsky D, Hahn E, Garcia S, Jerousek S. Do Environmental Factor Measures Identify Distinct or Common Elements? . Berlin, Germany: Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Moore J, Raad J. Evidence, Theory, and Experience: Implementing Evidence in to Rehabilitation Practice Chicago, IL: Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Grand Rounds; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Neumann H, Etingen B, Miskovic A, Locatelli S, Chen D, LaVela S. Patient-centered care: Perceptions of individuals with spinal cord injuries. Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Piatt J, Van Puymbroek M. Measuring Rehabilitation Outcomes: Implications for Recreational Therapy Clinicians, Educators and REsearchers. American Therapeutic Recreation Association Webinar; 2014.
- Heinemann A, Raad J, Segal N. Developing outcomes data management and reporting capacity for musculoskeletal rehabilitation programs. Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Lai J-S, Hammel J, Heinemann A, Gray D, Magasi S, Tulsky D, Hahn E, Garcia S, Jerousek S. Using the ICF’s Environmental Factors Framework to Develop an Item Bank Measuring Services, Systems, and Policy Affecting Persons with Disabilities. Berlin, Germany: Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research; 2014.
- Lee J, Song J, Ainsworth BE, Chang RW, Ehrlich-Jones L, Pellegrini CA, Semanik PA, Sharma L, DD D. Sedentary Time is an Independent Risk Factor for Incident Disability. Boston, MA: American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting; 2014.
- Leland NE, Roberts P, Deutsch A, Sidelinker JC. Ensuring the Delivery of High-Quality Fall Prevention: How Rehabilitation Professionals Engage in Quality Improvement. Toronto, Ontario: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; 2014.
- Neumann H, Deutsch A, Backus D, A. S. Navigating US Post-Acute Care Policy: Where Do I Begin? . Toronto, Ontario: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine; 2014.
- Seel R, Heinemann A, Kean J, Chan L. Developing and Reporting Research Evidence That Makes a Difference in Systematic Reviews. Toronto, ON, Canada: American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine Annual Conference; 2014.
- Semanik PA, Lee JL, Song J, Chang RW, Sohn M-W, Ehrlich-Jones LS, Nevitt MM, Kwoh CK, DD D. The Association Between Accelerometer Monitored Sedentary Behavior and Observed Physical Function Loss. Boston, MA: American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting; 2014.
- Song J, Lindquist LA, Chang RW, Semanik PA, Ehrlich-Jones LS, Lee J, Sohn M-W, DD D. Sedentary Behavior is a Distinct Factor from Low Level of Moderate-to-Vigorous Activity for Incident Frailty. Boston, MA: American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting; 2014.
- Tulsky DS, Heinemann A. Development of a new measurement system to assess HRQOL in individuals with Spinal Cord Injury. Berlin, Germany: Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research; 2014.
- Tulsky DS, Heinemann A, Semik P, Lai J-S, Carlozzi N, Kisala P. Development of an item bank to measure economic quality of life (ECQ) for individuals with disabilities. Berlin, Germany: Paper presented at the 21st Annual International Society of Quality of Life Research; 2014.
- Heinemann AW, "Development and evaluation of environmental factor instruments for use following spinal cord injury". 53rd International Spinal Cord Society (ISCoS) Annual Scientist Meeting: MECC, Maastricht, The Netherlands, September 2-4, 2014.
- Heinemann A, Baum C, Tulsky D. Research Recommendations from the State of the Science Conference on Outcome Measurement in Medical Rehabilitation. Symposium at the Rehabilitation Psychology 2014 Conference, San Antonio, TX, February 27, 2014.
- Improving the Measurement Properties of Depressive Symptom Instruments: A Rasch Measurement Example. Invited presentation at the University of Michigan, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ann Arbor, MI, February 14, 2014.
- Deutsch A. Improving Care Transitions: Policymakers’ Perspective. International Stroke Conference. San Diego, CA. February 14, 2014.
- Jensen SE, Butt Z, Heinemann AW, Cella D, Kuiken T, Dumanian GA. Perceptions of Upper Limb Transplantation Benefits and Risks: The Amputee Perspective. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Association for Hand Surgery, January 9, 2014, Kauai, HI.