Quality Outcomes at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Why RIC is the Best in Rehabilitation Care
You are facing an important decision – choosing a medical rehabilitation hospital for either yourself or a member of your family. When the goal is to regain ability and independence lost to an injury or illness, quality of the rehabilitation care you choose is very important to your outcome.
Not all inpatient rehabilitation facilities are the same. There are differences in their levels of experience, the quality of their patient care, and the sophistication of the technologies and therapies they use. For you or your loved one to regain as much ability as possible, you will want to select a program that employs the world’s most advanced treatments, leading experts, and world-class rehabilitation care.
Ranked the #1 rehabilitation hospital in America by U.S.News & World Report every year since 1991, RIC is sought out by patients from all over the world because of our proven ability to achieve greater functional improvement than anywhere else in the nation or around the globe.
Best Minds in Rehabilitation Medicine
Groundbreaking Technologies in Patient Care
Choose The Best
What makes RIC’s care better?
RIC is a world leader in cutting-edge rehabilitation research
Home to the world's largest clinical research center for rehabilitation medicine, RIC does not accept the status quo. Inspired by our determination to deliver the best possible outcome to each of our patients, we are constantly challenging ourselves to innovate with new treatments and discover new technologies. This means RIC patients have access to the most advanced, state-of-the-art rehabilitation therapies and technologies available anywhere.
- No other rehabilitation hospital in the nation carries six research designations from U.S. government agencies, including the Department of Defense, to develop breakthrough treatments. Learn More About RIC's Six Federal Research Designations.
- RIC has an average of 250 research studies underway at any given time – many of which are offered to RIC patients for participation.
- RIC's research discoveries set new standards and protocols in rehabilitation hospitals around the world. RIC regularly publishes research in the world's foremost medical journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) and its European equivalent, The Lancet.
RIC provides superior care and superior outcomes
Each patient's personalized care team consists of the field's foremost rehabilitation doctors, nurses, therapists, care managers and clinical specialists. No other specialty hospital in the nation has a more experienced track record:
- We deliver results that exceed national and regional averages across all of our areas of specialty.
- RIC provided care for more than 20,000 patients last year from all across the globe.
- RIC treats more patients than almost any other rehabilitation hospital in the nation.
RIC is home to the world's best minds in rehabilitation medicine
The same groundbreaking medical minds who train rehabilitation professionals create your inpatient treatment plan and treat you or your loved one:
- More than 2,500 healthcare professionals come from around the world annually to learn the latest care protocols and standards formed by our foremost physicians and researchers by attending RIC's continuing education courses.
- RIC and Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine run one of the largest physical medicine and rehabilitation residency programs in the nation.
RIC is home to the world's most advanced technologies
Home to the development of technologies designed to meet the specific needs of rehabilitation patients, RIC sets the nation's standards in patient care and safety for rehabilitation hospitals.
- Our researchers lead the industry in developing the most innovative patient care technologies such as the Lokomat® and Armeo® robotic training devices, which are also used at RIC.
- Health information technology systems developed at RIC and adapted by other hospitals throughout the country track every step of treatment for every single patient.
- A single electronic medical record is accessible to clinicians across all RIC levels of care and facilities.
- Point-of-care documentation and patient wristband systems allow real-time recording of patient information, including the safe dispensing of medications.
- Computerized physician order entry eliminates handwriting legibility errors.
RIC was the first rehabilitation hospital recognized for its nursing excellence
RIC was the first freestanding rehabilitation hospital awarded Magnet designation for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Magnet designation recognizes patient outcomes and nursing practices that set the gold standard of care and demonstrate the highest levels of quality.
Choose the Best
||For you or your loved one to regain as much ability as possible, select a hospital that empowers the patient and his or her family with the world's most advanced treatments, leading experts and highest quality rehabilitation care. That is what we provide at RIC.