Expert, Coordinated Care Close to Home
Heather Kroupa, within days of having a child, suffered a massive stroke. Doctors initially questioned whether Heather would ever be able to walk, talk or care for herself again, let alone care for her new baby or return to her job as a chemical engineer. Heather’s husband, Adam, wanted Heather to have the best chance of recovery.
“They told us there was a 50% chance she would never get out of bed again … if we could find something that would get her better, get her home get her back to who she was … I wanted something that would do that.” —Adam Kroupa
The Kroupa’s knew the best chance of recovery was with RIC.
Upon discharge from inpatient rehabilitation at RIC, Heather had made tremendous gains and left the hospital walking. However, she still needed intensive therapy, from physical, occupational and speech therapists, to be able to function independently at work and take care of her son. The need for intense coordinated care in more than one discipline made Heather an excellent candidate for RIC’s DayRehab™ program. “DayRehab™ was a challenge. To go six hours a day, three times a week just blew my mind,” said Heather, “but when I was there, I did my physical, occupational and speech therapy. I met with multiple therapists. I worked with many people… It was a really difficult experience, but also very rewarding in and of itself. I really regained a lot in DayRehab™.” Heather is now back to life—Thanks to DayRehab™.
View Heather's full story.
RIC’s Day Rehabilitation Program
The nation’s first and largest program of its kind, RIC’s Day Rehabilitation sets the standard for care for patients who no longer require hospitalization but still need intensive, coordinated rehabilitation care. Each year, DayRehabCenters® treat more than 1,700 patients from across the country and around the world under the guidance of an on-site expert physician and a coordinated clinical team. Patients of all ages from pediatric through geriatric participate in the programs to gain ability and return to previous life skills. The DayRehab programs are located throughout the Chicago area, making them close to patient's homes. Patients are able to participate in therapy during the day and return to their families and caregivers within the comforts of their homes at night.
What is DayRehab™?
DayRehab™ is a unique level of care providing comprehensive, individualized rehabilitation at a location close to home. It was created by RIC to meet the needs of patients who require therapy from more than one discipline (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech/language pathology) while living in their home.
The goal of the DayRehab™ program is to help patients regain their highest functional abilities as well as return to community activities such as returning to school, work, parenting, volunteering, and life responsibilities. RIC’s DayRehab™ program provides you with a coordinated, individualized care plan at a location in your community. The physician works with a specialized team of experts to maximize your ability – At RIC’s DayRehab™, the experts come to you.
Compared to traditional outpatient services, RIC’s DayRehab™ saves you time and gets you back to life faster.
Why Is RIC DayRehab™ Unique?
DayRehab™ provides an integrated approach to get you back to greater ability.
- A physician leads your care with a coordinated, expert clinical team.
- Thousands of patients like you are treated in DayRehab™ each year.
- DayRehabCenters® are conveniently located across Chicagoland.
- Low-cost transportation options are provided.
- A customized, individual treatment plan guides all rehabilitation.
- Therapists practice skills in the community to maximize recovery
- RIC is the recognized leader in rehabilitation care, having been ranked the “#1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America” by U.S. News and World Report every year since 1991.
- DayRehab encourages family participation to maximize long-term outcomes.
- Treatment includes a coordinated interdisciplinary approach.
RIC DayRehabCenters® quickly integrate research findings into practice to improve outcomes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens in our evaluation process?
- A treatment team, led by an on-site physician, evaluates your condition.
- The treatment team then creates your unique treatment plan.
- Depending on your return to life goals, a customized, specialized team will create a half or full day program to take place 3-5 days per week at one of our many convenient DayRehab™ locations.
Is there transportation and how far does it go?
Yes. Transportation is offered at a nominal charge for all of Chicago and most of the Chicago suburbs.
How is the program modified based on insurance?
RIC is able to modify the intensity of the therapy program based on your insurance plans to maximize your ability. For some patients that means that their therapy program will consist of 3 hours of therapy per day for 2-3 days per week and for other patients their therapy program will consist of for 6 hours of therapy per day 5 days per week.
What kind of results do RIC patients experience?
- 88% of Day Rehab patients on Return-to-Work track have returned to some form of employment, full or part-time upon discharge
- 98% of the patients that participate in DayRehab™ would refer a friend.
What therapy services are provided?
13 services provided at all of the Day Rehab programs to provide coordinated care and maximize recovery:
- Physician Care (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Cognitive Therapy
- Speech/Language Pathology Therapy
- Vocational Services
- Case Management
- Rehabilitation Nursing
- Wheelchair seating and positioning
- Technology Center (Low and High Tech)
- Social Work
What types of patients are appropriate for Day Rehabilitation?
If you’ve had any of the following conditions and want to perform at a higher level in your daily life, call for an evaluation:
- Brain Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Multiple trauma
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Other disabling conditions