Women's Health Rehabilitation Services
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) Women's Health Rehabilitation Program provides physical medicine and rehabilitation services for the specific health needs of women. The program offers innovative treatments and therapies, helping women regain their well-being through our Inner Strength Initiative® and once again enjoy active, satisfying lives. The care of RIC focuses on pregnancy/post-partum, pelvic floor dysfunction and breast and pelvic cancer rehabilitation. We also pay special attention to particular groups of women like adolescents, female athletes and women with complex conditions.
Comprehensive Evaluation and Diagnostics
When you start your care at RIC, a physiatrist or therapist with advanced training in women's health rehabilitation conducts the initial evaluation. This comprehensive exam includes an assessment of the individual's posture, range of motion, muscles, nerves, joints, balance, coordination and motor control. Further diagnostic tests are ordered if necessary. The physiatrist or therapist then creates a custom treatment plan designed to strengthen muscles, improve musculoskeletal function and restore the ability to perform activities of daily living and leisure.
We provide a full range of specialized treatments for women*
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
- Provides therapy diagnoses, assessment and treatment for various conditions and illnesses. Physical Therapy aims to restore optimal function and reduce pain.
- Occupational Therapy
- Provides skills, support and recommendations that help people lead more& independent daily lives. Some of these recommendations include the use of adaptive equipment, treatment programs that increase function in everyday activities, as well as education for family members and caregivers.
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
- Treatment to restore optimal function of the pelvic floor muscles and pelvic joints.
- Manual Therapy
- Soft-tissue mobilization
- Joint mobilization
- Manual stretching
- Myofascial release
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Utilization of audio and visual feedback to reeducate and train muscles
- Pain Management
- Electrical Stimulation
- Sport Specific Strength Training
- Biomechanical and Postural Training
- Suggestions and tips on improving efficiency of movement and body positioning
- Lymphedema Treatment
- Includes lymphatic drainage massage, compression bandaging and therapeutic exercise.
*The Women's Health Rehabilitation Program is offered at all of our outpatient locations.