The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) offers inpatient, outpatient or day rehabilitation services for people with multiple sclerosis. Patient services address medical intervention and therapies for recovery of strength, endurance and function as well as development of compensatory skills.
Medical and therapy components are enhanced with the integration of social services, a support group, Prosthetics & Orthotics Clinical Center, a communication skills program for select patients and assistive technology. In addition, RIC maintains close ties with neurology departments at several major medical centers as well as the Multiple Sclerosis Society to further benefit patients through access to organized activities and programs.
Below is a list of services offered by RIC to people with multiple sclerosis:
- Consultation with a physician specializing in rehabilitation with a special interest in multiple sclerosis
- Physical therapy evaluation for mobility, balance and lower extremity strength.
- Occupational therapy evaluation for daily care needs and upper body strength
- Nursing evaluation for personal care issues
- Social work evaluation for counseling, support and community referrals
Based upon this evaluation, you may be recommended for:
- An inpatient stay at RIC
- Day rehabilitation
- Outpatient therapy either at RIC or at a facility of your choice near your home
- Recommendations for assistive devices and/or adaptive equipment to help you in everyday tasks and mobility
- Intensive daily individual and group therapy in physical and occupational therapies
- Ongoing medical supervision by a specialist in rehabilitation medicine
- Nursing supervision and personal care training
- Psychological services, with testing as needed
- Speech therapy as needed
- Care manager services
- Wheelchair seating and positioning clinic
- Therapeutic recreation
- Chaplaincy services
- Family teaching prior to discharge
- Other services as indicated
Outpatient Support Group
- Meets monthly to provide support, education and recreation for people with MS, their families and friends
To schedule an outpatient evaluation, please call 312-238-6100. A report of the evaluation with recommendations will be sent to your physician. Medicare and Medicaid will cover services provided. Please check with your insurance carrier as to your coverage.
Comprehensive multiple sclerosis rehabilitation services are offered at several RIC locations. For further information about the support group or other programs, please call Roberta Winter, MSW, LCSW, MSCS, at 312-238-5381 or visit the locations page.