Volunteer at RIC
Touch a Life... Share in the Volunteer Experience at RIC
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago's mission is to help people with physical disabilities pursue healthy and fulfilling lives.
Our volunteers support this mission in our sites of care throughout the Chicagoland area. Their work truly touches the lives of patients and families while providing opportunities for personal growth, enrichment and satisfaction.
How Do Volunteers Make A Difference?
RIC works diligently to ensure a good balance between organizational needs and the personal interests, skills, talents and schedules of our volunteer staff. As integral members of our healthcare team, the contributions of volunteers are far-reaching, providing volunteer opportunities throughout our organization in a multitude of key areas, which include:
- Administrative support: Providing office support service to help with patient care administration during business hours.
- Child and adolescent services: Helping children by providing encouragement, assisting with meals and participating in recreational activities during weekdays and in the evenings.
- Patient services: Visiting adult patients and sharing in their lives by helping them read mail, write letters, make phone calls, eat meals and participate in activities and events during weekdays and in the evenings.
- Therapy sessions: Working with staff and patients in physical and occupational therapy group sessions during weekday mornings and afternoons.
- Therapeutic recreation: Reinforcing social and therapeutic processes by helping patients participate in crafts, games, and entertainment activities during weekday evenings.
- RIC Adaptive Sports and Fitness Program: Daytime, evening and weekend volunteer opportunities available assisting members of the Fitness Center, providing support to athletes and program coordinators during Adaptive Sports Program practices and competitions, and helping out with and chaperoning Caring for Kids Programs.
What Can a Volunteer Opportunity Offer You?
- A chance to explore career opportunities in rehabilitation and/or fulfill academic requirements
- Personal recognition and appreciation for your time and support
- Stimulating work environment with the nation's top rehabilitation professionals
- Personally fulfilling experiences helping people with physical disabilities
Requirements for Volunteering
- Group Interview
- 2.5 hour orientation session
- 100 Hour Commitment
- Medical Requirements
- Criminal Background Check (18 years and older)
For More Information
Please contact us at 312-238-6026 or by e-mail: email@example.com