- Year began practicing:
- Year joined staff:
- Year began practicing in specialty:
Education, Residency and Internship
- University of Notre Dame, BA, Psychology & Pre-Medicine
- University of Illinois College of Medicine, MD
- Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, Internal Medicine
- Northwestern University Medical School, PM&R
Teaching or Professional Positions
- Board of Directors, American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Medical Director, Rehabilitation Services, Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Associate Professor, Northwestern University
- Vice Chair, Northwestern University Institutional Review Board
- Regional Managing Editor, Rehabilitation In Review
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic and Neuromuscular Medicine
- American Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine
- American Medical Association
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
Honors & Awards
- 2010: Poster Presentation Award, Association of Academic Physiatrists: Choo, C. Marciniak, C. Toledo, S. Aagesen, A. Semik, P. Do Medical Co-Morbidities and Cognition Impact Functional Change and Discharge Needs In Parkinson Patients Following Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation. Poster Grand Rounds presentation. Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting Scientific Presentations April, 2010
- 2009 3rd Place Abstract Award, Midwest Pain Society: Marciniak C, Harvey R, Gagnon C, Duraski S, Denby F, McCarty S, Bravi R, Polo K, Fiersten K. Does Botulinum Toxin Type A Decrease Pain and Lessen Disability in Hemiplegic Stroke Survivors with Shoulder Pain and Spasticity? A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial ; Poster Presentation Midwest Pain Society Annual Meeting, Chicago IL. October 24, 2009.
- 2008 – 2009: Departmental Mentor of the Year Award
- 2005 – 2006: Departmental Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award
- 2003: ASIA Presentation Award- 3rd Place: Hebbeler S. Marciniak C, Crandall S, Chen D, Nussbaum S. A Retrospective Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Daily Vs Twice Daily Enoxaparin in the Prevention of Venous Thromboembolic Disorders during Rehabilitation Following Acute Spinal Cord Injury. Platform Presentation at Annual American Spinal Cord Injury Association (ASIA) meeting
- 2001 – 2002: Departmental Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award
- 2000 – 2001: Departmental Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award
- 1994: Best Abstract Award: Marciniak C, Sliwa J, Spill G, Heinemann A, Semik, P. “Functional Improvement during Cancer Rehabilitation.” Poster Presentation at the ACRM Meeting, Minneapolis MN, June 1994
- Marciniak CM, Heinemann AW, Monga T. Changes in Medical Stability Upon Admission to a Rehabilitation Unit. Arch Phys Med. Rehabil, 1993; 74:1157-1160.
- Marciniak CM, Sliwa JA, Spill G, Heinemann AW, Semik PE. Functional Outcome Following Rehabilitation of the Cancer Patient. Arch Phys Med. Rehabil, 1996; 77:54-57.
- Marciniak CM, Sliwa JA, Heinemann AW, Semik PE, Functional Outcomes of Persons with Brain Tumors after Inpatient Rehabilitation, Arch Phys Med. Rehab, 2001; 82: 457-463.
- AAEM QUALITY ASSURANCE COMMITTEE: (1997-2000): primary authors: Faye Y. Chiou-Tan, MD, Richard W. Tim, MD, and James M. Gilchrist, MD; chairs: Cheryl F. Weber, MD (1998), John R. Wilson, MD (1999-2000); committee members: Timothy J. Benstead, MD, FRCP(C), Arlene M. Braker, MD, James B. Caress, MD, Sudhansu Chokroverty, MD, FRCP, Earl R. Hackett, MD, Robert L. Harmon, MD, MS, Bernadette A. Hughes, MD, Milind J. Kothari, DO, Tim Lachman, MD, Richard I. Malamut, MD, Christina M. Marciniak, MD, Robert G. Miller, MD, Kevin R. Nelson, MD, Richard K. Olney, MD, Atul T. Patel, MD, Caroline A. Quar MD, FRCP(C), and Karen S. Ryan, MD. Literature review of the usefulness of repetitive nerve stimulation and single fiber EMG in the elctrodiagnostic evaluation of patients with suspected myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome. Muscle and Nerve, 2001: 24, 9: 1239-1247.
- AAEM QUALITY ASSURANCE COMMITTEE: (1997-2000): primary authors: Faye Y. Chiou-Tan, MD, Richard W. Tim, MD, and James M. Gilchrist, MD; chairs: Cheryl F. Weber, MD (1998), John R. Wilson, MD (1999-2000); committee members: Timothy J. Benstead, MD, FRCP(C), Arlene M. Braker, MD, James B. Caress, MD, Sudhansu Chokroverty, MD, FRCP, Earl R. Hackett, MD, Robert L. Harmon, MD, MS, Bernadette A. Hughes, MD, Milind J. Kothari, DO, Tim Lachman, MD, Richard I. Malamut, MD, Christina M. Marciniak, MD, Robert G. Miller, MD, Kevin R. Nelson, MD, Richard K. Olney, MD, Atul T. Patel, MD, Caroline A. Quar MD, FRCP(C), and Karen S. Ryan, MD. Practice parameter for repetitive nerve stimulation and single fiber EMG evaluation of adults with suspected myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome: Summary statement. Muscle and Nerve, 2001: 24, 9: 1236-1238.
- Brashear A, Gordon M, Elovic E, Kassicieh D, Marciniak C, Do M, Lee C-H, Jenkins S, Turkel C. Intramuscular injection of botulinum toxin for the treatment of wrist and finger spasticity after a stroke.
- New England Journal of Med, 2002; Vol 347, No. 6, pg 395-400.
- Hebbeler SL, Marciniak CM, Crandall S, Chen D, Nussbaum S, Mendelewski, S. Daily vs. twice-daily enoxaparin in the prevention of venous thromboembolic disorders during rehabilitation following acute spinal cord injury, J of Spinal Cord Med, 2004, 27, 236-240.
- Gordon MF, Brashear A, Elovic E, Kassicieh DO, Marciniak CM, Liu J, et al. Repeated dosing of botulinum toxin type A for upper limb spasticity following stroke, Neurology 2004, 63 (10), 1971-73.
- Marciniak CM, Armon C, Wilson J, Miller R. Practice parameter: Utility of electrodiagnostic techniques in evaluating patients with suspected peroneal neuropathy: An evidence-based review. American Association of Neuromuscular & Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Muscle & Nerve 2005, 31:520-7.
- Marciniak CM, Chen D, Stein AC, Semik P. Prevalence of Clostridium Difficile Colonization at Admission to Rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med. Rehabil, 2006; 87:1086-1090.
- Plastaras CT, Marciniak CM, Sipple DP, D'Amore KG, Garvan C, Zaman SM: Effect of interelectrode distance on sural nerve action potential parameters. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2008;87:183-188.
- Marciniak, CM, Rader, L and Gagnan, C. The Use of Botulinum Toxin for Spasticity After Spinal Cord Injury. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2008;87(4):312-317.
- Marciniak C, Korutz AW, Lin E, Roth E, Welty L, Lovell L: An Examination of selected clinical factors and medication use as risk factors for pneumonia during stroke rehabilitation: acase-control study. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2009;88:30 –38.
- Marciniak CM, Choo CM, Toledo SD, Semik PE, Aegesen AL. Do Co-Morbidities and Cognition Impact Functional Change and Discharge Needs in Parkinson Patients? American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2011; 90:(4) 272-280.
- Marciniak CM, Kaplan J, Welty L, Chen D. Enoxaparin Versus Tinzaparin for Venous Thromboembolic Prophylaxis During Rehabilitation After Acute Spinal Cord Injury: A Retrospective Cohort Study Comparing Safety and Efficacy. PM&R 2012;4 (1) 11-17.
spasticity, botulinum toxins (Botox, Dysport, Xeomin), stroke, cerebral palsy, parkinson disease, cancer rehabilitation
Certifications & Licenses
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Subspecialty certification: Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, Electrodiagnostic Medicine