Education, Residency and Internship
- University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, BS, Electrical Engineering
- University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China, MS, Biomedical Engineering
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, PhD, Biomedical Engineering
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, Postdoctoral Training in Rehabilitation Engineering
Honors & Awards
- 1999-Graduate Thesis Award, University of Science & Technology of China
- 1999 President (GuoMoRuo) Prize, University of Science and Technology of China (the highest honor from the university)
- 1999-2000 Walter P. Murphy Fellowship, Northwestern University
- 2001 Sarah Baskin Award for Excellence in Research, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- 2005 Young Investigator Scholarship, the 3rd International Meeting of Brain-Computer Interface Technology, Rensselaeville, NY
- 2006 Distinguished Research Fellowship, the US Department of Education
- Huang H, Zhou P, Li G, and Kuiken TA, Using Spatial filters to improve targeted muscle reinnervation based neural control interface, Annals of Biomed Eng (Accepted for publication).
- Zhou P, Lowery MM, and Suresh NL, and Rymer WZ, Nonlinear spatial filtering of multi-channel electromyogram signals during low force contractions, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- Hargrove L, Zhou P, Englehart KB, and Kuiken TA, The effect of ECG interference on pattern recognition based myoelectric control for targeted muscle reinnervated patients, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering/
- Huang H, Zhou P, Li G, and Kuiken TA, EMG electrode optimization for targeted muscle reinnervation based neural machine interface, IEEE Transactions on Neural System and Rehabilitation Engineering (Acepted for publication).
- Kuiken TA, Miller LA, Lipschutz RD, Lock BA, Stubblefield K, Marasco PD, Zhou P, Dumanian GA, Targeted reinnervation for enhanced prosthetic arm function in a woman with a proximal amputation: a case study, Lancet: 369(9559):371-80, 2007.
- Zhou P, Lock B, and Kuiken TA, Real time ECG artifact removal for myoelectric prosthesis control, Physiol Meas, vol. 28. no. 4, pp. 397-413, 2007.
- Zhou P, Lowery MM, Englehart KB, Huang H, Li G, Hargrove L, Dewald JPA, and Kuiken TA, Decoding a new neural-machine interface for control of artificial limbs, J of Neurophysiol . 2007.
- Zhou P, Suresh NL, and Rymer WZ, Model based sensitivity analysis of EMG-force relation with respect to motor unit properties: applications to muscle paresis in stroke, Annals of Biomed Eng, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1521-1531, 2007.
- Li XY, Zhou P, and Aruin A, Teager-Kaiser energy operation of surface EMG improves muscle activity onset detection, Annals of Biomed Eng, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1532-1538, 2007.
- Zhou, P & Kuiken, TA Eliminating cardiac contamination from myoelectric control signals developed by targeted muscle reinnervation, Physio Meas, vol. 27, pp. 1311-1327, 2006.
- Zhou P, Lowery MM, and Rymer WZ, Extracting motor unit firing information by independent component analysis of surface electromyogram: a preliminary study using a simulation approach, International Journal of Computers, Systems and Signals, Special Issue on Biomedical Information and Engineering, vol. 7, pp. 19-28, 2006.
- Zhou P, and Rymer WZ, Factors governing the form of the relation between muscle force and the electromyogram (EMG): a simulation study, J of Neurophysiol, vol. 92, pp. 2878-2886, 2004.
- Zhou P, and Rymer WZ, Motor unit action potential number estimates in surface EMG: template matching methods and their performance boundaries. Annals of Biomed Eng, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 1007-1015, 2004.
- Zhou P, and Rymer WZ, An evaluation of the utility and limitations of MUAP counts in the surface EMG, J of Neural Eng, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 238-245, 2004.
- Zhou P, and Rymer WZ, Can standard surface EMG processing parameters be used to estimate motor unit global firing rate? J of Neural Eng, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 99-110, 2004.
Motor unit recording and analysis Biomedical signal (in particular EMG) processing Neuromuscular system modeling Myoelectric prosthesis control and assistive devices EMG examination of neural and muscular disorders Electrophysiology and bioelectricity