Education, Residency and Internship
- University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, BS, Engineering
- University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, MS, Engineering
- University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB, Doctor of Philosophy
Honors & Awards
- 2008 The President’s Doctoral Tuition Award
- 2005 - 2008 NSERC PGS-D Scholarship
- 2005 - 2008 Doctoral Tuition Award
- 2005 - 2006 The John S. Little International Study Fellowship
- 2003 - 2005 NSERC PGS-A Scholarship
- 2004 - 2005 Board of Governors Merit Awards for Graduate Studies
- 2002 - 2003 Brydone Jack Prize (Highest Standing Undergraduate in Electrical Engineering)
- 2002 - 2003 University of New Brunswick Special Undergraduate Scholarship
- 2002 - 2003 Grandy, Gibson, Holmes Memorial Scholarship (Community Leadership)
- 1998 - 2002 Entrance Scholarship, University of New Brunswick
- 1998 - 2003 Dean’s List, Faculty of Engineering, University of New Brunswick
- 1998 - 1999 A. P. E. N. B. Prize I (Highest Standing in First Year Engineering)
- 1998 - 1999 Alumni Prize
- 1998 - 1999 Emma Porter Perkins Scholarship (Community Leadership)
- Y. Li, L. Smith, L. Hargrove, D. Weber, G. Loeb, “Sparse Optimal Motor Estimation (SOME) for Extracting Commands for Prosthetic Limbs”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Accepted.
- H. Daley, K. Englehart, L. Hargrove, U. Kuruganti, “High density electromyography data of normally limbed and transradial amputee subjects for multifunction prosthetic control”, J of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 22(3):478-84, 2012.
- A. Young, L. Hargrove, and T. Kuiken, “Improving Myoelectric Pattern Recognition Robustness to Electrode Shift by Changing Interelectrode Distance and Electrode Configuration”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 59(3):645-652, 2012.
- A. Young, L. Hargrove, and T. Kuiken, “The Effects of Electrode Size and Orientation on the Sensitivity of Myoelectric Pattern Recognition Systems to Electrode Shift”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 58(9):2537-2544, 2011.
- H. Huang , F. Zhang, L. Hargrove, Z. Dou, D. Rogers, and K. Englehart, Continuous Locomotion Mode Identification based on Neuromuscular-Mechanical Fusion for Prosthetic Legs, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering , 58(10):2867-2875.
- A. Simon, L. Hargrove, B. Lock, and T. Kuiken, “A decision-based velocity ramp for minimizing the effect of misclassifications during real-time pattern recognition control”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 58(8):2360-2368, 2011
- L. Hargrove, A. Simon, R. Lipschutz, S. Finucane and T. Kuiken, “Real-time Myoelectric Control of Knee and Ankle Motions for Transfemoral Amputees”, J of the AMA, 305(15):6-8, 2011.
- A. Simon, L. Hargrove, B. Lock, T. Kuiken, “The Target Achievement Control Test: Evaluating real-time myoelectric pattern recognition control of a multifunctional upper-limb prosthesis”, J of Rehab R and D, 48(6):619-628, 2011.
- L. Smith, L. Hargrove, B. Lock, and T. Kuiken, “Determining the optimal window length for pattern recognition-based myoelectric control: balancing the competing effects of classification error and controller delay”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 19(2):186-192, 2011.
- L. Hargrove, E. Scheme, K. Englehart and B. Hudgins, “Multiple Binary Classifications via Linear Discriminant Analysis for Improved Controllability of a Powered Prosthesis”, IEEE Transactions of Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 18(1):49-57, 2010.
- L. Hargrove, P. Zhou, K. Englehart, and T. Kuiken, “The Effect of ECG Interference on Pattern Recognition Based Myoelectric Control for Targeted Muscle Reinnervation Subjects”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 56(9):2197-2201, 2009.
- L. Hargrove, G. Li, K. Englehart, and B. Hudgins, “Principle Components Analysis Preprocessing to Improve Classification Accuracies in Pattern Recognition Based Myoelectric Control”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering,vol. 56(5):1407 – 1414, 2009.
- L. Hargrove, K. Englehart, B. Hudgins, “A Training Strategy to Reduce Classification Degradation due to Electrode Displacements in Pattern Recognition Based Myoelectric Control”, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 3:175-180, 2008.
- L. Hargrove, K. Englehart, and B. Hudgins, “A Comparison of Surface and Intramuscular Myoelectric Signal Classification” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 54:847-853, 2007.
- P. Zhou, M. Lowery, K. Englehart, H. Huang, G-L Li, L. Hargrove, J. DeWald, and T. Kuiken, “Decoding a New Neural Machine Interface for Control of Artificial Limbs”, J of Neurophys, pp. 2974 – 2982, 2007.
Dr. Hargrove’s research interests include signal processing, pattern recognition and myoelectric control of powered prostheses. Dr. Hargrove focuses on research and development of clinically realizable myoelectric control systems in hopes that the systems can be made available to amputees in the near-term.