Education, Residency and Internship
- Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, BS, Biological Sciences
- Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan, Doctor of Medicine
- University of Chicago, Graduate School of Business, MBA
- Northwestern University Medical School, Evanston Hospital, Evanston, Illinois, Internal Medicine Intern
- RIC/Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- RIC/Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Chief Resident
Honors & Awards
- 2004-present: Top Doctor in Chicago, Chicago Magazine
Women's musculoskeletal medicine, pain management in pregnancy, and pelvic pain
Certifications & Licenses
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Dr. Smith is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), America’s number-one rehabilitation hospital as named by US News & World Report every year since 1991. Dr. Smith joined RIC as a practicing physician in 1992 after completing her residency and chief residency at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine (NU-FSM) and she was promoted to President and CEO in 2006, after serving the Institute in progressively expanded roles. In addition to her executive functions, Dr. Smith is an Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at NU-FSM. She enjoys the honor of being named one of Chicago’s “Top Doctors” by Chicago Magazine in every edition since 2004.
Dr. Smith is a member of several professional organizations, both regional and national, and serves on the healthcare industry boards of the Illinois Hospital Association and the Metropolitan Chicago Healthcare Council, two corporate boards, and a healthcare Advisory Board for a private equity firm.
Dr. Smith holds a BS, Cum Laude, from Oakland University in Rochester Michigan, an MD with Alpha Omega Alpha designation from Michigan State University, and is Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Dr. Smith also holds an MBA from the University Of Chicago Graduate School Of Business.