Hospital billing can be confusing for patients and their families. At the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), we try to make it easy to understand and work with you every step of the way.
If you have questions about your bill or wish to request an itemized bill, call RIC Patient Financial Services at 312-238-6039.
During the admitting process, your RIC admitting representative will discuss with you the financial aspects of your stay at RIC. In addition, you will have a RIC patient financial services representative to answer individual billing questions.
RIC bills for all services as an outpatient hospital visit, including your RIC physician visits. It is important that you understand your insurance plan coverage and how this may affect your out-of-pocket expenses, including co-pays and deductibles.
Accepted insurance plans
(LIST EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 21, 2014. PLANS SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
Notes about insurance:
Today, most insurance plans require precertification prior to your care being provided. Please contact your insurance company prior to your care to verify that precertification and pre-authorization requirements have been met. Your insurance plan may require you to pay for a portion of your services. If your insurance requires copayments, please remember that these may be due at the time of service.
If you don’t see your plan listed below, please feel free to call our Managed Care Department at 312-238-8020. We may be able to work with your plan on an arrangement for care with RIC.
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) participates with the following health plans:
- Aetna PPO & EPO (& Meritain Health An Aetna Company)
- MultiPlan / PHCS / Beech Street PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO
- Blue Choice Select (through December 31, 2013)
- Blue Advantage Entrepreneur (small employer groups 2-50)
- Cigna PPO & EPO
- Cofinity PPO
- Coventry Health Care of Illinois
- Evolutions Health Systems PPO (Evolutions Select product only)
- First Health/Coventry/ Personal Care PPO (purchased by Aetna 4/13)
- Health Link
- HFN DPA
- Humana PPO (all products)
- Multiplan/Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS, Beech Street PPO, Integrated Health Plan Inc.)
- Out of State Blue Cross Blue Shield plans (RIC will bill the local plan who then submits a claim to your national plan)
- UnitedHealthCare (UHC Choice, UHC Choice Plus, UHC Consumer Driven, UHC PPO, The Options PPO, Non Differential PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO
- Blue Advantage HMO
- Blue Precision HMO
- Health Link HMO
- HMO of Illinois (HMOI)
- Cigna HMO and Open Access
- Humana National HMO
- First Health/Coventry/ Personal Care: HMO (purchased by Aetna April 2013)
- Union Health HMO
- United Healthcare Choice HMO / Choice Plus HMO
- Aetna Choice
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access POS POS II Managed Choice Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Cigna POS
- First Health / Coventry / Personal Care POS (purchased by Aetna April 2013)
- Humana POS
- HFN POS
Medicare Advantage Plans
- BCBS Medicare Supplemental Network
- Coventry Health Care of Illinois
- Humana Medicare Choice Care PPO
- Humana Medicare Gold Plus HMO
- IlliniCare (Seniors & Persons with Disability Integrated Care Plan)
- IlliniCare Dual Eligible (Medicare & Medicaid)
- Aetna Better Health (Seniors & Persons with Disability Integrated Care Plan)
- Blue Cross Community MMAI (Medicare-Medicaid Plan)
- Family Health Network Community Care Alliance of Illinois (CCAI)
- Community Advantage (HMO Plan) Medicaid plan
- Community Complete (Duals)
- Humana Dual Eligible (Medicare & Medicaid)
- Humana (Seniors & Persons with Disability Integrated Care Plan)
- Illinois Department of Public Aid (IDPA, Medicaid)
- Tricare (Active Duty Military)
Hospital and physician billed SEPARATELY
This Accepted Insurance List reflects contracts for RIC Hospital (Facility). RIC bills for services as a hospital visit, including your RIC physician visits. It is important that you understand your insurance plan coverage and how this may affect your out-of-pocket expenses, including co-pays and deductibles. It is recommended that you call your insurance company and discuss your benefits.
Because physician services are billed separately, you should expect to receive TWO separate bills for each visit with an RIC physician. Physician bills will come under the heading "RIC Medical Services" and will contain the professional services that were provided. The second bill will be from RIC (the hospital) and will contain charges for use of the facility.
The SUM of these two (2) bills – physician and hospital – will equal the TOTAL charge of the office visit. You are not being double-charged.
Independent Practice Association (IPAs) through HMO Illinois, Blue Advantage HMO and Humana Commercial HMO
RIC contracts with various Independent Physician Associations (IPAs) who have relationships with Humana HMO, HMO Illinois and Blue Advantage HMO. Please check with your IPA for further information related to their relationship with RIC.
Patients with insurance plans that are not on RICs Accepted Insurance list may contact their insurance company directly to learn more about their insurance out-of- network benefits at RIC
RIC is contracted with a variety of worker’s compensation plans. If you have questions please contact our specialized worker’s compensation care manager at 312-238 -1127
Frequently asked questions about billing & insurance:
What portion of the bill will I be responsible for paying?
You are responsible for full payment of all services which are not covered by your insurance plan. This includes any applicable deductibles or co-payments which may apply to the specific benefit period.
You may receive separate bills for services provided by health care professionals affiliated with RIC. Some medical staff members may not be participating providers in the same insurance plan as the network of RIC.
As a result, you may have a greater financial responsibility for services provided by those individuals at RIC that are not under contract with your health care plan. You should direct your questions regarding coverage or benefit plans to your health care plan and/or your certificate of coverage.
If RIC is an out-of-network provider, you may experience greater out-of-pocket expenses for medical services.
What will my insurance company pay for?
Your insurance, including Medicare and Medicaid, may cover services and supplies which are deemed medically necessary. Because every insurance plan is different, we recommend that you talk with your employer or your insurance agent to better understand your coverage, particularly special requirements or restrictions.
Will RIC bill my insurance company directly?
As long as you have provided the necessary information upon admission or registration, RIC will bill your insurance provider directly for hospital reimbursement. You will then receive a bill only for the amount not expected to be paid by your insurance provider.
What methods of payment may I use to pay my bill?
For your convenience, we accept cash, check, American Express, VISA, MasterCard or Discover.
If you have questions about your bill or wish to request an itemized bill, call Patient Financial Services at 312-238-6039.
Charity Care / Ayuda Financiera
Charity Care / Ayuda Financiera
As a caring member of the health care community, the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) has a charity care policy to provide eligible patients financial assistance for medically necessary care. Charity care is available to persons who meet RIC's financial criteria based upon the US Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines with respect to family size compared to household adjusted gross income.
Patients are required to cooperate in securing all other sources of income from third-party resources before a financial assistance program determination can be made.
All RIC patients may apply. However, not all patients and/or services may be eligible.
To apply for charity care / Para solicitar ayuda financiera:
Once you have completed the entire application and have all of the requested information, please return to:
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
Patient Financial Services Department
Financial Assistance Program
345 East Superior Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Upon receipt of your application, we will consider it as soon as possible.
For further information on RIC's charity care program, please contact Patient Financial Services at 312-238-6039.