Facts & Figures
Our new research hospital, located at 355 East Erie, will allow RIC to serve our patients in ways that are not possible in our current space, and that are unprecedented in medicine.
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab® is intended to exude ability and attract the world's best and brightest talent to achieve its vision.
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab at a Glance
The building will be 480 feet tall, with 1.2 million square feet of floor space, including 800,000 square feet dedicated to clinical/research programs – nearly three times our current research space.
Inpatient Bed Capacity
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab will open with 242 beds – a 33% increase over our current capacity of 182.
World's Only Ability Labs – Five Differentiated Labs
- Think + Speak: "Speech & Cognition"
- Arm + Hand: "Fine Motor"
- Legs + Walking: "Gait & Locomotion"
- Strength + Endurance: "Total Body"
- Pediatrics: All abilities for kids
New Care Support Capabilities
- Imaging and Interventional Suite: MRI and CT scanning capabilities, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, DEXA, and bone density diagnostics.
- Medically Advanced Care Unit (MAC-U)
Wonderful Public Spaces
- Sky Lobby – 2-story reception on the 10th floor
- Nancy Knowles Garden – Expansive, outdoor green area confluent with the Sky Lobby
- Henry B. Betts LIFE Center – Patient and family resource center
- Spiritual Center
- Conference Center
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab will have an extensive outpatient care facility – four times the current service size.